Monday 6 April 2020

Brewday - Brave New World - 14/04/2020

Whoever and wherever you are, I hope you remain healthy and are surviving the virus that continues to devastate the planet.

This brew is the one I mentioned in my previous post, something along the lines of the old Brakspear Triple. For those unfamiliar with the original brew, this is not to be confused with a Belgian Tripel, but a strong traditional English ale.

The 20l Braumeister I now use will struggle to cope with the grain bill required for a starting gravity of around 1.063 / 1.064 unless I reduce the final volume, but I've decided to go for it, with 10% of the grain bill being Golden Syrup to help me achieve the gravity required. So the grist for this one (23l) is;

4800g Maris Otter
500g Dark Crystal
400g Malted Oats
150g Black Malt
650g Golden Syrup

Mash for 90 mins @ 68c for a target SG of 1.064

Hops during a 90 minute boil;

Target 22g (14%) @ 80 mins
Target 15g (14%) @ 20 mins
Target 30g (14%) @ 10 mins
Target 35g (14%) @ 1 min

Yeast will be Mangrove Jacks, New World Strong Ale Yeast

The yeast also gave me the inspiration for naming this brew. In view of what's going on around us at the moment, reference to 'New World', reminded me of the song 'Brave New World' from Jeff Wayne's musical interpretation of the War Of The Worlds. Ironically that story ends when a virus becomes the downfall of the alien invaders.

Hopefully I'll still be around to taste this brew once it's done. I'll probably age it in the keg for a bit, but I'll review it on here as soon as it's ready.

Take care all.

EDIT: The brewday was shifted to Tuesday as I took a chunk out of my finger in the garden the week before and wanted time for it to heal a bit, before dealing with lots of heat and cleaning. The wort was an incredible colour.



The day went smoothly and I adjusted the hop schedule from my original plan to lower the IBUs a bit and the revised details are shown in the main post above.

I drew off some boiling wort into a pan, to dissolve the golden syrup on the stove and thus avoid having sticky goo burning on the elements.



The starting gravity was bang on as predicted and the yeast is making good headway when I checked the fermenter this morning. My hydrometer reads slightly strong (2 pts) so although this looks like 1.066 it's actually 1.064.



No comments:

Post a Comment