Friday 30 August 2013

Hop Harvest - 2013

I spent the last couple of evenings harvesting my Bramling Cross hops




The yield wasn't as good as last year, but I think I've got a better grade of hop, as I've picked them about a week earlier this time. Last year I left loads on the vine as they had opened too far and had a bit too much brown about them for my liking. This year's lot are about right - the cones are just about opening, with a hint of 'paperiness' about them, but still nicely green.


We got these two bags on Wednesday and I went up again on Thursday to get what was left, which was about half as much again.


The hops are now spread upon net curtains which adorn various parts my loft, 'hammock' style. It's so hot and stuffy up there, the cones dried in about two days last year.



Once done, I'll vacuum pack them and stick them in the freezer - then on to brew.



1 comment:

  1. Those look great! Can't wait to purchase this years hops next month. There's nothing better than fresh hop flavor. Cheers Mark!

    ReplyDelete